Our church (Portmore Lane Covenant Community Church) has Bible Study classes on Tuesday nights.
We are currently looking at the topic “Spiritual Warfare”.
In addition to the Bible, we have used the video “How to Overcome Evil” by Derek Prince along with notes from the teacher.
The following are some notes from this topic:
How to Overcome Evil – Derek Prince
This is the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS7KKRj3Ij8&t=5124s
SOME CRUCIAL POINTS:
* ONLY 2 ALTERNATIVES Rom 12:21 (NIV) “ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” That is – THERE ARE NO NEUTRAL GROUND; WE’RE EITHER OVERCOMERS OR WE ARE OVERCOME BY EVIL.
* ALSO Evil can only be overcome by “good” and the source of this “greater good” is God; so only when aligned (allied /united) with God can one overcome evil.
It’s a 10x part teaching as listed below and we just finished part 3; this is at 00:29:00, in the video.
- Evil Is Someone (no neutral position Rom 12:21) (The source of evil/ evil is someone – Eph. 6:12 Satan & his kingdom).
Satan (the one who resists, opposes “adversary”) – Old Testament
Devil (slanderer, or accuser) – New Testament
(a) cosmic conflict;
(b) not discerned by natural senses;
(c) not recognized by most persons;
(d) outcome in this conflict is decisive and determines what happens in the natural.
- Activities of Satan – primarily called the devil (slanderer) in the New Testament; and primarily Satan (adversary, resister) in the Old Testament;
None of the descriptions of Satan are pleasant – in Rev 12:9 he is called the dragon & serpent; in John 8:44 murderer, liar, father of lies; in John 10:10 thief, life taker.
OBJECTIVE: – comes to steal, kill, destroy.
MODUS OPERANDI: he deceives us first, to ensnares, then goes on to kill, then ultimately, to destroy (eternal).
[Ways Satan works – Deceives, Tempts (or entices), Accuses.]
The only Remedy/antidote for deception is to “know the truth”; know and trust (believe) the ‘Word’ note John 1:1
John 1:1 (AMP) IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself. [cf: Isa 9:6.]
- Jesus Has Already Defeated Satan
– the victory has already been won – at the cross, see Col. 2:13-15; “… triumphed over Satan & his kingdom made a spectacle of them.
Colossians 2:13 (CJB)  You were dead because of your sins, that is, because of your “foreskin”, your old nature. But God made you alive along with the Messiah by forgiving you all your sins.  He wiped away the bill of charges against us. Because of the regulations, it stood as a testimony against us; but he removed it by nailing it to the execution-stake.  Stripping the rulers and authorities of their power, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by means of the stake.
– He dealt with our guilt. Col. 1:12-14 rescued from dominion of darkness; forgiven –
Colossians 1:12-14 (AMP)  Giving thanks to the Father, Who has qualified and made us fit to share the portion which is the inheritance of the saints (God’s holy people) in the Light.  [The Father] has delivered and drawn us to Himself out of the control and the dominion of darkness and has transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,  In Whom we have our redemption through His blood, [which means] the forgiveness of our sins.
- Spiritual Weapons for Spiritual Warfare –
Luke 10:19, the promise.
(AMP) Behold! I have given you authority and power to trample upon serpents and scorpions, and [physical and mental strength and ability] over all the power that the enemy [possesses]; and nothing shall in any way harm you.
2 Cor. 10:4-5 weapons of our warfare…
(AMP)  For the weapons of our warfare are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood], but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds,
Rev. 12:11 – overcame him by the Blood of The Lamb and the Word of their testimony…
Ex 12:21-23 use Hyssop and apply the blood over the lintel and 2 door posts.
The Hyssop corresponds to our testimony of us saying what the Blood of Jesus does for us.
- Overcoming By The Blood of The Lamb and the word of our Testimony – (Hyssop – Our Testimony)
Jn. 1:29; 1Cor 5:7 Jesus the Lamb of God
Our personal Testimony to what the Blood of Jesus does for me personally according to THE Bible, and
I say it with my own mouth; it corresponds to the Hyssop to apply the Blood.
Rev 12:10-12 we overcome by testifying what the blood of Jesus does for us.
- Redemption And Forgiveness Jesus defeated Satan in 2 main ways: 1. makes it possible to receive Forgiveness of (past) sins 2. makes it possible to receive God’s righteousness by faith in the Blood of Jesus without having to observe the Law.
Rev. 12:10-11; victory over Satan;
Eph. 1.7 redemption & forgiveness.;
Redemption – Ps 107:2 let the redeemed of the Lord say so.
1 Pet. 1:18-19. – Redemption – (buy back) Ps 107:2 let the redeemed of the Lord say so;
1 John 1:7 (CJB) NOTE THE CONDITIONS FOR CLEANSING
 But if we are walking in the light, as he is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of his Son Yeshua* purifies (cleanses) us from all sin.
The blood of Jesus does not cleanse us in the dark
(a) How to walk in the light – by Walking in obedience to the Word of God – Ps. 119:105.
(b) Fellowship with one another – Eph. 4:15 â€¦ Speaking the truth in love.
Romans 5:8-9 (NIV)  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!
Justified is – To make righteous – just as if I’d never sinned.
See also –
2 Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)  God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
This is the primary weapon to overcome for Satan’s accusations
To make holy – to set something apart to God.
Hebrews 13:12 (CJB)  So too Yeshua* suffered death outside the gate, in order to make the people holy through his own blood.Cf: God makes a distinction between His people and others:
Ex. 11:4-7; and Ex. 12: 21-23
- The Complete Testimony
The Blood of Jesus is speaking in heaven on our behalf right now once we have also made our testimony (the hyssop):
see –Hebrews 12:22-24 (CJB)  On the contrary, you have come to Mount Tziyon*, that is, the city of the living God, heavenly Yerushalayim*; to myriads of angels in festive assembly;  to a community of the firstborn whose names have been recorded in heaven; to a Judge who is God of everyone; to spirits of righteous people who have been brought to the goal;  to the mediator of a new covenant, Yeshua*; and to the sprinkled blood that speaks better things than that of Hevel* (Abel).
————–DEREK PRINCE VIDEO NOTES ENDS HERE ————-
OTHER POINTS TO NOTE:
ONE OF THE IMPORTANT “THINGS” THE ENEMY STEALS
QUESTION: What did our Lord warn the disciples against the most?
Deception of the Evil One.
Matt 13:18-19 –  listen to what the parable of the sower means.  Whoever hears the message about the Kingdom, but doesn’t understand it, is like the seed sown along the path, the Evil One comes and seizes what was sown in his heart.
- “Knowing” the Truth is not just for warfare but primarily for Eternal Life (knowing God): Jn. 1:12; Jn. 3:15-16; & 36; Jn. 5:24; 38 & 40; Jn. 6:68; Jn. 8:47 & 51; Jn. 10:38. Jn. 14:6-7; Jn. 17:3 (below); Jn. 17:6; Lk 10:22; John 17:3 (NIV) Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- The Word is also for ‘bread’ Jn. 6:35 & 48-51 & 58 & 63-64; (implied in point 1 above)
- Word also for cleansing – Ephesians 5:26 (NIV) to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word.
- So the warfare is primarily about drawing us away and separating us from God (who is the Word) and is on 2x fronts –
(a) within is the flesh – continually at enmity with the Holy Spirit (Gal 5:16-23; also Rom 8:1-17) – “works of the flesh” vs fruit of the Spirit.
(b) the kingdom of darkness – Do not give the enemy a foothold –
Eph. 4:17-32 esp. NB v27;
James 4:1-10 (NB v4 & v7);
Luke 9:1-2; 10:1-19; and Mk. 16:15-19.
Rev 2:8-12 message to church of Smyrna & cf. Rev 12:10-11